Sunday, October 31, 2010

An Attitude of Gratitude

I have been hearing several talks in church, in general conference, and in stake conference about gratitude. I attended stake conference today and our good stake president spoke about gratitude. He mentioned a story of when he was on his way to work. He had recently challenged the stake to have an attitude of gratitude. Then one day a nail lodged its way into the rear tire of his car. He noticed he had a problem and pulled into a parking lot. Instead of looking at this as a negative experience, he chose to think of all of the things he was grateful for in this instance. First, he had a car to get to work in. The nail had placed itself in the tire so it was a slow leak, this allowing him time to reach a parking lot to pull into instead of a busy freeway. His father had taught him to change a tire. He had a spare tire to place on the rim so he could make it on time to work. He had so many things to be grateful for. Another gentleman had pulled into the parking lot and had responded to his predicament by saying “What a lousy way to start your day.” The stake president responded with a smile, “This was the best flat tire I have ever had.”

As I heard this story and stories from President Monson and other people I realize that I have so much to be grateful for. I am so grateful for this month of November coming up. What a beautiful time of year this is where we can enjoy the changing of the leaves and all of the many other wonderful things fall has to offer. I always love the Thanksgiving and Christmas Holiday Season of which we are fast approaching. Maybe it is because, as a general rule, people are a little more focused on Christ. What an amazing time we have to be alive in. What an amazing gift of atonement the savior gave to us so that we can repent of our sins and move onward and upward.

I am grateful for the things I have learned this year and the experiences that have brought me where I am today. While I had a very rough time at my last job, I was gainfully employed and was able to keep my bills paid and help others when I could. Even though it is hard to admit at times, I am grateful for the trials in my life that help me grow stronger. It is through our weaknesses that we can be strong if we allow ourselves to make our weaknesses into strengths. I know that the Lord is truly mindful of each and every one of us. That has been evident to me as I made a big move from Utah to California. He blessed us with so many things. I felt his loving hand every step of the way. I am truly grateful for my job I have now that allows me to support Gina and Keira and allows Gina to stay home with Keira.

I am grateful for Gina and Keira in my life. They bring so much joy to me. I love being able to see them every night when I get home. I love it when Keira gets excited to see me when I get home. The first thing she says with a smile almost every day is “Daddy!” I then give her hugs and kisses. I also love the kisses and hugs that Gina gives to me. I am so blessed to have a happy wife and daughter to make my day even better. We have an amazing ward and have made some good friends that make our lives better. I am grateful for their hands in helping us move our stuff into our apartment.

I have so many more things to be grateful for that I will not mention. I will leave with my testimony that the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints is true. Jesus Christ is our Lord, Master, and Savior. The Book of Mormon and other scriptures are true. Joseph Smith is a prophet. Thomas S. Monson is the Lord’s prophet at this time and he leads and guides this church. We live in a wonderful time for which we have to be alive. I hope you all have a wonderful holiday season and can think of things you are grateful for.

No comments: